From great Socrates

1. To find yourself, think for yourself.
2. Do not do to others what angers you if done to you by others.
3. The only good is knowlege and the only evil is ignorance.
4. Having the fewest wants, I am nearest to the gods.
5. I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
6. Bad men live that they may eat and drink, whereas good men eat and drink that they may live.
7. I am not an Athenian or a Greek, but a citizen of the world.
8. To fear death my friends, is only to think ourselves wise, without being wise. For it is to think that we know what we do not know. For anything that men can tell, death may be the greatest good that can happen to them, but they fear it as if they knew quite well that it was the greatest of evils. And what is this but that shameful ignorance of thinking that we know what we do not know?
9. Be slow to fall into friendship; but when thou are in, continue firm and constant.
10. Nothing is to be preferred before justice.
11. The end of life is to be like God, and the soul following God will be like Him.
12. I was afraid that by observing objects with my eyes and trying to comprehend them with each of my other senses, I might blind my soul altogether.
13. What a lot of things there are, a man can do without.
14. Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall come easily by what others have labored hard for.

0 comments: